I thought I would update you with a few more of the craziest church complaints I’ve had and let you see what others are saying. Enjoy the laugh, and take a minute to share your thoughts in the comments of the blog.
There is a request by the ChurchLeaders community asking readers to share their most off-the-wall church complaint. Some of those that have been shared are:
- Because we did not visit them in hospital even though they did not let us know they were there.
- Had someone complain about having to repeat the chorus of a worship song!
- Someone once complained that the “song lyrics on the screens were TOO BIG!”
- A woman told me as she was leaving the church that she wouldn’t be back again because I preached too much about Jesus.
- Someone complained because the children’s time with the minister was too long – it should only be about 3 minutes, after that the adults got bored.
- A woman – yes woman! – told me that I shouldn’t wear a skirt under my robe because it was too distracting – they kept being reminded that I was a woman.
- And many more! (I’ll add to these over the next few days.)
I figure it is time to share a few more of those “crazy” complaints that have been a part of my preaching experience. Here goes ~ hope you enjoy the laughter as much as I did!
- I’ve been informed that someone at the church thought I told to many “stories” instead of preaching directly from the Bible. (This was after reading the scripture lesson and then re-telling the scripture lesson as a modern parable.)
- My shoes have been critiqued repeatedly – red peep-toes, black patterned, white sandals, blue suede loafers – ALL were not appropriate footwear for a REAL preacher!
- Then (a classic!) the swinging doors to the choir loft had been removed to help the elderly choir members enter and leave. Somehow, two years later – it was my fault. 😦
- Another classic – the complaints that we had “too many strangers” starting to attend the church and they were sitting in the family pews. (oh my)
So, what complaints have you been told? Is your preaching too long? Too short? Too loud? Too quiet? Does the worship service have too much formality or is it too relaxed? How is the coffee? Is someone sitting in the wrong pew?
I know you have had many things happen, share a couple of them with the rest of us and let’s laugh together!
Read more here.
- What’s the Craziest Church Complaint You’ve Ever Received? (barefootpreachr.org)
- Defining Pastoral Perfection! (barefootpreachr.org)
- Christian Jealousy (notsoperfectpw.wordpress.com)