There is a tale from ancient times that tells of a King who had a boulder placed on a roadway. Then he hid himself and watched to see if anyone would remove the huge rock. Some of the kings’ wealthiest merchants and courtiers came by and simply walked around it. Many spoke loudly and blamed the king for not keeping the roads clear, but not one did anything about getting the stone out of the way.
Then a peasant came along carrying a load of vegetables. Upon approaching the boulder, the peasant laid down his burden and tried to move the stone to the side of the road. After much pushing and straining, he finally succeeded. After the peasant picked up his load of vegetables, he noticed a purse lying in the road where the boulder had been. The purse contained many gold coins and a note from the king indicating that the gold was for the person who removed the boulder from the roadway.
The peasant learned what many of us never understand: Every obstacle presents an opportunity to improve our condition and the condition of others around us.
- What obstacles do you see are in your way?
- How will you handle them?
- What opportunities do you see in your obstacles?
- Are you putting obstacles in the way of others?
- Is there anyone that you know who has an obstacle in their life that you might be able to offer a helping hand with?
Just thinking ….
Be Blessed … and Be a Blessing!
- Overcoming Obstacles – A Story About Making the Leap to Greatness (betterlifecoaching.wordpress.com)
- The Gold watermelon (depts.washington.edu)