Why I Don’t Go to
Church Sporting Events Anymore:
Football in the fall. Basketball in the winter. Baseball in the spring and summer. This is one pastor who has been an avid sports fan all my life. But I’ve had it! I quit this sports business once and for all. You can’t get me near one of those places again. Want to know why?
- Every time I went, they wanted me to give money.
- The people I had to sit near didn’t seem very friendly.
- The seats were too hard for me and not at all comfortable.
- I went to many games, but the coach never came and visited my house.
- The referee made a decision with which I could not agree.
- I suspected that I was sitting with some hypocrites — they came to see their friends and what others were wearing rather than to see the game.
- Some games went into overtime, and I was late getting home or to dinner when the games were in the afternoon.
- The band played some numbers that I had never heard before.
- It seems that the games are scheduled when I want to do other things.
- I was taken to too many games by my parents when I was growing up.
- I don’t want to take my children to any games, because I want them to choose for themselves what sport they like best.
After all …