from the Palm Beach Post:
Ryan Tyler McCarthy was this year’s valedictorian at Pahokee High School.
Ryan graduated with an unweighted GPA of 3.95 (5.2 as a weighted GPA/HPA). He was in Pahokee‘s International Baccalaureate program from seventh grade through graduation and earned 30 college credit hours with dual enrollment at Palm Beach State College since 2008. Ryan was a two-year member of the National Honor Society and was its president as a senior, when he also was secretary of the high school’s student council.
Ryan was in the marching band since the seventh grade and led its percussion section as a senior. He traveled with the band to perform the halftime show at the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans in 2007.
Ryan also has been active in his church and community. For three years, he was a drummer in a band he helped to organize at St. Philip Benizi Catholic Church in Belle Glade. He also was a speaker for two years at Chrysalis, the young-adult version of the Walk to Emmaus, a spiritual growth program run by Glades-area Methodist churches, and he co-led the Life Group, a high-school church outreach group.
He helped build the first Habitat for Humanity house in the Palm Beach County area of the Glades last year. This January, Ryan started Fit Club, a weekly exercise and fitness group in Belle Glade, and he was a counselor at several summer camps.
Somehow, he found time to work at his parents’ business, Glades Gas and Air Conditioning of Belle Glade. “As an assistant, I was doing brutally hot work installing A/C in houses, fixing broken appliances, etc.,” his résumé says. Later he began doing social networking and public relations for the company.
Ryan started college at the University of Florida on June 27, majoring in chemical engineering “as of this second in time,” said his mother, Karen. Because of the credit hours he has under his belt, he expects to complete the five-year degree program in three or four years.
Other Notable Residents of Pahokee:
- Reidel Anthony, NFL wide receiver, 1996 Florida Gators football team, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Anquan Boldin, NFL wide receiver, Florida State University, Baltimore Ravens
- Zabian Dowdell, basketball player for Phoenix Suns
- Rickey Jackson, NFL linebacker, New Orleans Saints and San Francisco 49ers, NFL Hall Of Fame
- Janoris Jenkins, Defensive back at the University of Florida
- Eric Moore, football player for the New England Patriots
- Martavious Odoms, wide receiver, University of Michigan
- Freddie Lee Peterkin, Soul & Gospel Singer and Actor
- Alphonso Smith , NFL cornerback, Detroit Lions
- Antone Smith, NFL running back, Florida State University, Atlanta Falcons
- Fred Taylor, NFL running back, New England Patriots
- Mel Tillis, Country musician. Born in Tampa, Florida but raised in Pahokee
- Andre Waters, Defensive Back Philadelphia Eagles
- Riquna Williams, NCAA Women’s Basketball Shooting Guard, University of Miami